6.20.2006

Donkey Mentality...

A minister referred to Christ’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem and asked: "What if the donkey on which Jesus was riding had thought all the cheering was for him? What if that small animal had believed that the hosannas and the branches were in his honor?"

The minister then pointed to himself and said: "I'm a donkey. The longer I'm here the more you’ll come to realize that. I am only a Christ-bearer and not the object of praise."

In recording Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, Matthew referred to the prophecy of Zechariah: "Tell the daughter of Zion, 'Behold, your King is coming to you, lowly, and sitting on a donkey, a colt, the foal of a donkey'" (Matthew 21:5; see Zechariah 9:9).

On Palm Sunday, the donkey was merely a Christ-bearer, bringing the Son of God into the city where He would give His life for the sins of the world.

If we could develop a healthy "donkey mentality," what an asset that would be as we travel the road of life. Instead of wondering what people think of us, our concern would be, "Can they see Christ Jesus, the King?" Rather than seeking credit for service rendered, we would be content to lift up the Lord.
O what can I give to the Master,
The One who from sin set me free?
I’ll give Him a lifetime of service
To thank Him for dying for me.
- K. De Haan
A Christian’s life is a window through which others can see Jesus.
I think this says it all......

3 comments:

Heather Dowling said...

great stuff, heidi. do you have a daily bread sort of thing where you get this material?

thanks for encouragement comment on my weblog. you're a great sister!

Kat said...

Nifty!!!

Kat said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know I have been thinking about you and praying for you...I don't know why, but God has placed you on my heart!!! I hope all is well and I hope to see you soon!!