3.21.2006

Divine Interruptions...

A certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. - Luke 10:33
God's will comes to us in strange ways, often in the form of interruptions. Just when we think our duties are done for the day and we've settled in for a quiet evening at home, someone calls on the telephone or shows up on our doorstep asking for our time. "Are you busy?" they ask.
The best thing to do is to stop looking at these intrusions as interruptions. Instead, we should take them as opportunities that God is sending us to serve those in need—to listen well, to show love, to help them on their journey toward intimacy with God.
One early Christian writer, Jean-Pierre de Caussade, said, "Love is the duty of the present moment." No matter what else we may have planned, love is our duty.
"Who is my neighbor?" I ask. Jesus answers, "The person in need I'm sending your way."
- David Roper
Lord, if I'm feeling rushed today,I
need your eyes to help me see
That when an interruption comes
It is an opportunity. - Sper
An interruption may be a divine appointment.

2 comments:

Heather Dowling said...

I was thinking of this very concept the other day. I remember how Dad had a few church members who called each day for simple nonsense reasons and often times drove him crazy! (i'm sure you remember who I am talking about). Well, R.Jay and I have inherited some of those people at our current church and it makes me laugh a little now. Though I get frustrated sometimes, I still try to remember that any word that comes out of my mouth could be something from the Holy Spirit for that person. It's an honor. I hope I'm doing well:)

Bethany said...

Hey Heidi,

Thanks for the coments, I really am praying for you. My friend Howard and I were just reminiscing on where we were a year ago in the states with the 40-hour work week, and just so thankful that God has called apart our lives to serve him here, in language school, and eventually in the fields he has for us. Don't be discouraged, God too has called apart you and Joe for a grand, grand purpose. I can still remember the first time I met you guys in CS and sitting at the table, realizing you also were seeking appointment to Mexico. I just remember talking to you and Joe and even though having just met you, we were all so excited and worked up emotionally within minutes over lunch just dreaming of what God was going to do in Mexico. Keep the perspective of that in mind when the frustration sets in...I was there a few months ago and I know how hard it can feel...you just want God to hurry up and get you there:) His timing is oh so perfect, he has put me here in language school right now for just the right reasons, I can see it daily. He is still using you in those little tasks and "interuptions" in life that we think are a pain, but really he teaches us from them and wow, I'm so thankful he does. I miss you guys and I am praying! His timing is perfect, I'll be praying that some of these churches take you on....keep up the good work guys,
Love
Bethany