3.15.2006

Staying in the Sunshine...

I admit, I miss the sunshine. I am teased by the shortness of sun and the forth coming of the cold and snow. Why do I live here? Is what I often hear myself saying. But reading a miscellaneous daily bread today I realized that I can always be in the sunshine.....
In his book The Best Is Yet To Be, Henry Durbanville told the story of a little girl in London who won a prize at a flower show. Her entry was grown in an old cracked teapot and had been placed in the attic window of a rundown tenement house. When someone asked how she managed to raise such a lovely flower in such an unlikely environment, she said she moved it around so it would always be in the sunlight
"As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love" (John 15:9).
We abide in Christ's love when we show love to others. Jesus made this clear when He said, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love . . . . This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends" (vv.10,12-13).

We feel the warmth of Christ's love when we obey His commandment to love and serve others. That's the way to stay in the sunshine.
-Richard De Haan
Our love for God is seen in our love for others.

3 comments:

Heather Dowling said...

That's a great story. Very encouraging. Do you think 45 minutes is enough time... I honestly have no idea. I'm still working, training the new girl:)

Kat said...

Just like the warmth of the sunshine on your face, it feels so good to bask in the presence of the Lord, I completely agree. I do miss the natural sunshine lately!!! Don't worry, a few months in Mexico and I bet you'll crave some snow!! J/K!!!

Heather Dowling said...

I miss my sister too. You should come visit your sister. I'm home today. Sick. A very rough weekend.