11.30.2005

For Unto Us A Child Is Born.....

I began thinking today, as I am decorating my work place with shiny figurines , bulbs, and snowflakes, what Christmas has come to mean to me. I find to often I get excited about lights and shiny things. So today I began to really read through the birth of Christ in the gospel and I came across something that I really didn't see before.....

Matthew 1:21 "She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, BECAUSE
He will save his people from their sins."

Jesus didn't come so that we could have Christmas trees, Christmas movies, and/or presents, we have all those things because He came to die and save us from our sins, so that we may enjoy Him every year through things like decorating the Christmas tree with family to spend time with them blessing them in love ('Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these.") and presents, so that we may bless others with things full of love and to give to those in need ("He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses." Proverbs 28:27).

Christmas trees, and movies, and presents, and these things are not wrong (unless of course it takes total focus of off Him), but of course that never happens.. ;-) We do them to show our excitment, thankfulness, and love that we have for our savior who came to this earth to take our punishment so that we may live freely in Him. YEAY!!!

Ok so now that I had my time on the soap box (sorry). I just got so excited because I never thought about it this way before, it is so awesome!

So let us sing out For Unto Us A Child Is Born...... That He may take away the sins of the world!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a reminder that I really need. Maybe because I grew up in a non-Christian home, but I just love the presents, decorating and parties. I know that is a part of it, but the real meaning that lies beneath all the glitz needs to be a more central theme in my house.
Good stuff! Thanks for the butt-kick, I needed it!

Anonymous said...

Don't be sorry! Butt-kicking is a necessary and too-often missed part of Christianity.
But yeah, the parties and shopping are really fun. We can't forget those ;-)

Heather Dowling said...

I think I fall short as well as my friend, with my excitement of white lights and gold trim, presents with bows, and parties with friends... You're absolutely right. We all need a check every now and then. But i'm still not missing any christmas parties:) I just look at them more of a celebration for Him, not the holiday.

Kat said...

Here, here....Your assessments are so true. What I love most about Christmas, which is why I decided to get married near Christmas time, is that you can feel God's presence heavily, maybe because at Christmastime people are more open to Him, but I just love it, the world seems better, if not for only a day....

Heather Dowling said...

I called you at work today but you had already left for your Dr.'s appointment. I was going to see if you wanted to go see the Nutcracker in Syracuse on sunday night???? :) YAY!

Heather Dowling said...

Yes, it starts today I think but we have youth group tonight, a wedding tomorrow night so Sunday we would have to go- what do you think? Joe and R.Jay could do something else.